Thinking about the upcoming party season, I am hopeful. It’s been a lean time for my industry the past few years. I’m not sure what the basis of this turn around is entirely, I know I can’t say it’s due to Spring as most of our jobs have been on the books for a number of months. Could it be that the economy has possibly turned the corner for the better? Or are people just tired of being depressed and hoarding their money?
Regardless the reason, our phones are ringing and people seem to be celebrating life like I haven’t seen for a while. Here are some of the common denominators, aka trends.
1. COLOR! Bless my soul people are just getting giddy with colors in their themes! Still uber hot is the fuchsia & lime green combo, we did a lot with it last year and it continues this season. Next event we’re pairing it with black to make a huge white (read: boring) tent come alive! A new edition for an event later in the season is a strong, lemon yellow.
2. Speaking of, lemons and all sorts of citrus actually, are showing up in floral arrangements. You can’t throw a stick without hitting an event magazine showing that look right now. Well, at least not in my house anyway. Fruit is such a beautiful cheap alternative or addition to flowers, it’s good to see its stature elevated to decoration.
3. The PHOTO BOOTH craze continues and is such a playful addition to sometimes stoic events such as weddings. I just got a great mental picture of the Queen sitting on the little stool in one at Will and Kate’s upcoming nuptials.
Even cooler than the photo booth concept is the appearance of the Flip Book Maker, invented in Japan and currently being seen mainly on the West Coast. The flip book maker allows you to make a short video and converts it to pictures, then prints and assembles it into a flipbook format! Add a green screen and the possibilities are endless! But I digress…back to current trends…
4. CRAZY FUN THEMES – People have gotten more creative and have actually come to us with their event vision already established, just needing us to make their vision a reality. This past weekend we had an African themed baby shower where Party Belles transformed an area at our local Hilton into a jungle! Next weekend we’ll be creating the space down the rabbit hole at an Alice In Wonderland event. Guests will get to choose between Rabbit Ears and Top Hats as they arrive to get everyone in the mood. This summer we’ll be hosting a Hitchcock Party where guest will arrive as their favorite character. People LOVE going to themed parties and the more unique the better. Attendance rates rise dramatically when we hold a heavily themed event and are more often than not 100 percent.
5. Money is still scarce, however, and that continues to be an important force. As professionals we don’t really mind that, as it allows us to use more creativity and make events much more personalized. The excesses of the 90’s and early 00’s are long a thing of the past, but we have found our groove in the T’weens and are having a fine, fine time.