By KARA EBERLE for Smart
Meet Penn Township’s King of the Grill.
By day, Gregg Smith is a welding engineer at Harley-Davidson. By night, he’s a grilling machine.
His wife, Kimberly, said her husband’s love of grilling began about seven years ago with the purchase of a mini Weber kettle grill. Today, he has four grills, one that’s called the “Big Green Egg.”
Gregg grills at home and on vacation. He “can and will grill, smoke, sear or bake anything and everything on one
of his four grills,” Kimberly said.
But Kimberly’s not jealous of her husband’s passion for flames and food. She enjoys the masterpieces he creates. “His coffee brisket is to die for, and his Asian ribs are my favorite,” she said.
And meat isn’t the only item on the menu. Gregg grills fruit, pizza, tofu and veggies for his oldest daughter, Kaleigh, who is a vegetarian.
Grill with care
Sure, grilling is fun, but it can also be dangerous.
From 2003 to 2006, fire departments across the nation responded to an average of 7,900 home fires involving grills, hibachis or barbecues each year, the National Fire Protection Association reported. Those fires average 10 deaths annually.
Grill fires often happen when homeowners use grills too close to their homes or leave them unattended, said Victoria Connor, director of public support for the York County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
“Never leave your cooking unattended,” Connor said. “You run the risk of not only having a fire, but also putting children that could be around in danger.”
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission shares these tips:
For gas grills…
Before use, check your grill’s tubes, hoses and connectors for blockages, leaks or other problems.
Never use a grill indoors, in a garage, breezeway, carport or porch.
When in doubt, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions when you encounter problems.
Do not store a spare gas container under or near the grill.
For charcoal grills…
Do not burn charcoal inside vehicles, tents or campers, even if the area is ventilated.
Store a grill with freshly used coals outside; charcoal produces carbon monoxide fumes until it’s completely extinguished.
Heed the carbon-monoxide warnings on charcoal packaging. The carbon monoxide gas released when charcoal is burned in a closed environment can be deadly.
Check out Gregg’s recipe for Asian ribs, complete with suggestions for local shops to buy some of the ingredients.
GREGG’S ASIAN RIBS
4 racks of baby back ribs (Gregg likes to buy his at Wayne Nell & Sons Meats.)
3 tablespoons dried lemon grass
4 cloves chopped garlic (The Smiths prefer to get theirs at Hacienda Shiloh in Gettysburg.)
1 piece of ginger about the size of your thumb
3 jalapeno peppers
1/2 cup dried cilantro
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons fish sauce (It can be found in the Asian aisle of the grocery store.)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup peanuts (chopped)
1 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
Combine all the ingredients, except the ribs, in a bowl, mix well. Place the ribs with the membrane removed in a large glass Pyrex dish. Pour the marinade over the ribs and refrigerate overnight.
Set up your grill for indirect cooking and preheat to 225 degrees.
Place the ribs in a rib rack and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is shrinking away from the bones.
Take them off the grill, let them rest lightly covered for a half-hour.
While the ribs are resting, chop the peanuts and fresh cilantro for garnish.
— Submitted by Kimberly Smith, Penn Township